Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Mind your language???

(originally posted on http://phuiyhin26.multiply.com on Jan 21st 2007)


Was suppose to blog this entry few days ago, but procrastination got to me.

So what's the issue with this language thingy I made as heading eh?

Well, you see the past 2 days while I was driving back from campus in the evening, Hitz.fm was playing songs from my favourite band

1. Fall Out Boy - This Ain't A Scene, It Is An Arm Race
2. Panic! At The Disco - I Write Sins Not Tragedies

For the Panic! song, I was enjoying the first 30-seconds of the song when suddenly 1-second of that sentence went off. I thought it might just be a reception problem but when the same thing happened even in the midst of the chorus and then only it struck me (a bit blur case lar lately). They censored some words. These are the words that was found guilty.

"And yes, but what a shame, what a shame, the poor groom's bride is a whore."
I'd chime in with a "Haven't you people ever heard of closing a goddamn door?!"

I'm like?????? WHAT???!!!!...

Alright then, it's ok. I calmed myself down...

The next moment, I heard the intro for Fall Out Boy's latest hit (thinking: ah, another one of pete's genius creation) it kinda cooled me down but then again until the 25th second of the song, I was in pissed off mode again. Damn! they basically censored 30% of the bridge part (I think? I'm not such a math person);

This ain't a scene, it's a god damn arms race
This ain't a scene, it's a god damn arms race
This ain't a scene, it's a god damn arms race
I'm not a shoulder to cry on
But, I digress...

Alright, I know as a broadcast student I'm suppose to know all these and shouldn't complain so much about it but (face full of dissappointment) by censoring all these words tell me does it make our people more polite people or do we curse less after that. I mean if we censor the word whore, is it that people won't know what is sex and prostitution. Okay, you might say by censoring then it lightens the negativity in our society but oh! i just see no reason of spoiling a song like that.

I mean imagine they even censor the word SHIT in Avril Lavigne's My Happy Ending

All the things you hide from me
All the shit that you do

Don't tell me you guys don't even utter the word shit at times when things really go wrong?

Just doesn't make sense ceonsoring like that.....

Current Mode : Pissed Off (=P actually nolar)
Currently Tuning Into : Dead On Arrival by Fall Out Boy

No comments: